For International Students

Am I an “International Student”?

It depends on whose definition you are using. At UC Davis students are considered to be “international” if they are studying at our University on a student visa. The vast majority of undergraduate international students are studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa.

In the Biology Academic Success Center (BASC), we understand that this definition does not always meet the exact needs of all of our students.

For example:  we have students who are United States citizens but they have lived the majority of lives in a foreign country prior to returning to the U.S. to study at UC Davis. We also have “international students” (studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa) who have lived the majority of lives in the US and have even attended local high schools.

If you are not an international student according to the university definition but feel that you may benefit from international student advising services you are still welcome to meet with our International Academic Adviser.

How can I change my major or add another major?

If the new major is in the College of Biological Sciences. You should meet with the major advisor in your new major to make sure you have completed any required preparatory classes. You should also complete a four-year academic plan with the major advisor so you know you can complete all requirements within the 225 unit cap. The major advisor will have the required forms and explain the next steps in changing your major or adding another major.

How do I make an appointment with my Academic Adviser?

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Schedule an Appointment". Answer the questions when prompted and select a day and time that works with your schedule. Appointments are only available up to two weeks in advance. Check back if the availability is full.

Where is BASC?

The Biology Academic Success Center (BASC) is located in the Sciences Lab Building, room 1023. Click here for a campus map.

Can I go part-time as an International Student?

International students may only go part-time (10 units or less) in their final quarter before graduation with the appropriate approvals. Exceptions to full-time status at any other time are only made under exceptional circumstances. Please consult with your academic counselor or an advisor from Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS)

Where can I get a transcript from UC Davis?

Official transcripts display information regarding your name, student identification number, courses and quarters enrolled, grades, unit information, grade point average, transfer work, academic actions such as course repeat notations, withdrawals, and degree(s) awarded including date awarded and major(s) and/or minors(s). Official transcripts also include honors and award notations such as dean’s list notations, department citations, and internship notations. Official academic transcripts are printed on security paper and bear the Office of the University Registrar’s signature and University seal. More information can be found on the Office of the University Registrar website.           

What is a Pass time? 

Registration for courses occurs during two appointment times called “passes”.  All students are assigned a Pass 1 and Pass 2 appointment time. This is a four hour period of time in which you are may sign up for courses. Pass appointment time assignment is based on the number of units you have completed. For additional information please refer to the Office of University Registrar website.

What are prerequisites and do I have to take them?

It is your responsibility to meet the prerequisites of courses. The registration system at UC Davis will not prevent you from registering in an advanced level course for which you are unprepared.  Prerequisites are often in the form of lower division courses that are required before you continue on to a more advanced level course. Other prerequisites may include placement exams.  It is very important to thoroughly read the description for any course that you plan to take and to verify that you have met the prerequisites for that course.

Perquisites are set for a reason; they are set to ensure that you have the required knowledge to succeed in the course. Courses offered through the College of Biological Sciences highly enforce prerequisites. 

For example:     BIS 2B has a perquisite of a C- or better in course 2A.

If you an unsure or have questions please see your International Academic Adviser.

Where do I go if I still have questions?

Please stop by the Biology Academic Success Center (BASC) at 1023 Sciences Lab Building. You can talk to a Peer Adviser. Or you can make an appointment with your International Academic Adviser (click link above).